Foster Falls VA and Haunted Orphanage

Discussion in 'Ghost and Mysterious Photographs' started by ilook4spooks, Mar 26, 2008.

1. ilook4spooks New Member

These are some pictures from Foster Falls VA. This is a village that has been preserved and turned in to a state park. I love this place. It is along side the New River. The New River Trail runs along side the river. If any of you are up to a good horse back ride this is the place to go. You can ride,bike and hike and even canoe or kayak to your hearts content. You can bring your own horses or canoe's or kayaks or you can rent them at the park. There were people out and about all over the place while we were there. We hiked all over and were there several hrs. This place has a primative campground (the only way to camp in my book!). I love the place because of the river. It is beautiful. We plan to spend a lot of time here this spring and summer.

[IMG]
    This is the stables where you can rent a horse. They have a little bit of everything there to ride. I spotted a beautiful paint...I think he wanted to come home with me LOL.

[IMG]
    One of the interesting looking structures at the park.

[IMG]
    A railroad used to run through Foster Falls. Here is a car that was retired here. The old train depot has been turned in to a gift shop.

[IMG]
    A view of FOSTER FALLS looking up river.

[IMG]
    A view of the falls looking accross.

[IMG]
    I bet I said a hundred times while I was there...that I sure wish I could have been in that boat fishing. These fellows looks like they were having a good time.

[IMG]
    Hehe I think the fellow on the end was smiling for the camera!

[IMG]
    There were geese everywhere.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    This was the old general store.

[IMG]
    An old house setting off to itself.

[IMG]
    Ok here was the real reason last year I found this place LOL. This used to be an Orphanage in the early 1900's. There is a urban legend that it is haunted. It is also part of the urban legend that the head mistress at this house put the bodies of dead children in the industrial furnace to keep collecting government money for them. It is also local legend that there were human bones found in the furnace. To me the place is creepy as heck. I would say the same thing if I did not know the SUPPOSED stories behind it. You can't go in it anymore because the state owns it now. How I would love to be turned loose in there over night. I know I am crazy hehee or too brave( maybe too stupid).

[IMG]
    Here is a better shot of it I got last year. I always keep in mind that there is always a speck of truth in every urban legend. An urban legend has to get a start some how right?

[IMG]
    And here is the furnace. It was used for steel. My husband told me that he honestly doubted that there was human remains found in there because as hot as the fire had to have gotten any bones would have decengrated (sp?). It was very possible that maybe due to that fact the head Mistress might have actually put dead bodies in there. Heck how would she get caught if there was no evidence?

[IMG]
  2. kimbers1963 New Member

Interesting!!! Thanks for sharing :)
  3. spook New Member

what a groovy place ilook!
    i love the nature surrounding the horror of the legend. how sad, if it's true. yup, like you i agree about camping, "in the rough" is how i prefer it.

thanks for sharing this place with us.. :D
  4. judy_schoonmaker New Member

:D Thanks for sharing all that ILook..It looks like a really cool place. I love rivers too, and horses, and camping. And like you, I would LOVE to go trough that old orphanage...that would be the hightlight!
  5. ilook4spooks New Member

Thanks yall. We def will be doing a weekend camping trip there this spring. Instead of hauling our horses we will just drag our mtn bikes along. Although the New River Trail is awesome for horseback riding. I would def be taking my ghost hunting equipment :p .