Ectoplasm

Discussion in 'Theories' started by princessanna, Dec 8, 2008.

1. princessanna

princessanna Residual

Seem like a lot of people in other forums are latching on to ectoplasm. I can't seem to make the jump onto that band wagon yet. My question is a lot of people say (in other forums) that my pics are Ectoplasm. I have a hard time understanding that.

Here is what I have found in researching. Any info you have would be appreciated.

Ectoplasm (paranormal), a physical substance that supposedly manifests as a result of "spiritual energy" or "psychic phenomenon"

(from the Greek ektos, "outside", + plasma, "something formed or molded") is a term coined by Charles Richet to denote a substance or spiritual energy "exteriorized" by physical mediums. Ectoplasm is said to be associated with the formation of ghosts, and hypothesized to be an enabling factor in psychokinesis.

Ectoplasm is said to be produced by physical mediums when in a trance state. This material is excreted as a gauze-like substance from orifices on the medium's body and spiritual entities are said to drape this substance over their nonphysical body, enabling them to interact in our physical universe.

Physical mediums are rare in modern culture. Physical medium David Thompson is one of only a few individuals in the world today who claims to produce this phenomenon and has provided photographic evidence of ectoplasm produced under red light conditions

Although the term is widespread in popular culture, the physical existence of ectoplasm is not accepted by mainstream science. Some tested samples purported to be ectoplasm have been found to be various non-paranormal substances, including chiffon and flakes of human skin.

Other researchers have duplicated, with non-supernatural materials, the photographic effects sometimes said to prove the existence of ectoplasm

Some schools of paranormal thought attribute ectoplasm with several different qualities. The substance is thought to glow for a period of time after being detached from the host. As the ectoplasm begins to break down, the glowing quality begins to dim. As the decomposition continues, the material is said to gradually dissolve, leaving behind no trace at all. For this reason, many persons have photographed substances thought to be ectoplasm in an attempt to record the phenomenon before the physical evidence fades away.